Friday 1 February 2013

Cooking/Baking Attempts and why they failed

Happy February 1st!

OK, so anyone who knows me, knows I don't cook.  Not that I can't, because I'm a darn good cook, I just don't like to. It's boring, the kitchen gets too hot, excuse, excuse, excuse. Well, I decided I'm going to start.  I've been pinning on Pinterest for the past few weeks and I've found some good stuff. 

The first thing I tried was a penne and bacon dish.  I figured, "Hey! It's pasta and bacon. I can't mess up pasta and bacon!" And I was wrong. Some things just can't be substituted.  I have EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in the cupboard.  I figured I could use it instead of regular olive oil.  WRONG!! Completely different tastes. But we ate it, Mr T. said it was good. (I still think he was just being nice).

I also tried cupcakes.  Cupcakes, you say?  Who can mess up cupcake? THIS girl!  The recipe said to mix butter and sugar together with and electric mixer. I didn't have one.  Meh...a fork will work. OK, maybe a spatula. Yeah...no.  It just doesn't get enough air into the mix. But that's OK. I can handle not so light and fluffy.  They'll still bake OK.  Oh, did you know all-purpose flour can't/shouldn't be used instead of self-rising flour?  'Cause I didn't.  Needless to say they weren't the greatest.  But they had chocolate icing, and chocolate makes EVERYTHING better. 

Just FYI...I did go buy a mixer yesterday.  It's black, has a bunch of different mixing apparatuses and a little black case to put everything in.  It is definitely going to get a lot of use.

So what have I learned from this? 1. Do not substitute unless you know it will work. 2. Have the right "tools" for the job. And 3. Cover everything with chocolate and no one will notice the rest. 

Happy eating everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment